Determining the Right Literacy Intervention: Using Assessment to Guide your Course
July 20, 2023
Voyager Sopris Learning with Guest Dr. Susan Smartt
What happens after a formative literacy assessment? How can educators translate the results into targeted interventions and improved reading outcomes? This applicable and informative presentation from Dr. Susan Smartt, a respected literacy expert, helps educators make sense of what to do after the assessment and how to best use the valuable data gleaned from those assessments to inform intervention—and move all students toward literacy success.
To help educators address the challenging literacy needs of their diverse learners, our discussion will cover appropriate approaches to intervention and how to determine what approach is best based on assessment results.
Dr. Smartt will explore:
- Dyslexia and other reading challenges, and best practices for the right intervention at the right time
- Explicit instruction and Structured Literacy, and the reasoning behind these instructional approaches
- Designing Tier II and Tier III small-group instruction and monitoring student progress
- The importance of integrating five essential components of reading during instruction
- Ways to effectively target the specific "trouble spots" literacy assessments have identified
- How to take the guesswork out of intervention and transform struggling students into skillful readers